Friday 21 December 2012

Every success starts with the desire to succeed :D

Honestly, I've felt like that last few months have been crap. It started with the romantic notion of being a climbing bum. The idea was to come back from France, sign on the dole, sort out an instructing job to start in the new year, and climb (lots). Due to lack of regular climbing partner, bad weather and an injured shoulder the climbing hasn't gone to plan. The dole pays far too little and actually spends more time trying to find reasons not to pay you than it spends helping you find work you actually have an interest in, are good at, or are experienced in. After all that I am still without a job as well. 


After large doses of self-pity a good friend of mine suggested I wrote myself a list of things to achieve in 2013. At the top of the list, I was told to write "every success starts with the desire to succeed :D" and apparently "The smiley face is a must".

I like this idea, and thus it forms the main body of my blog. This will be the list, set in stone (or save in an accessible digital location for anyone to stumble across), ready to motivate me to a successful and fun-filled 2013. Now, regular readers, don't worry, there will still be a bad joke at the end. Just wait and have a bit of trust that I haven't forgotten the only reason the two of you actually read this!


The length of the list caused me a little bit of a headache. I wanted one of the things on the list to be "complete the list", so I didn't want the list to be too long, as that would leave this as another pointless attempt to get me out of bed. This made me think the best idea would probably be to let the list write itself, it will be as long as it needs to be. In the same way as Earl from the American TV series "My Name is Earl" I intend to keep the list on me, so I can cross things off as I do them, and add them when I think of them, but for now, here is the list, as it begins:
  1. Complete this list
  2. Climb Flying Buttress Direct (HVS 5b)
  3. Climb Archangel (E3 5b)
  4. Climb Gorilla Warfare (Font. 7b)
  5. Climb Napes Needle via The Wasdale Roof (E3 5c)
  6. Climb the Matterhorn
  7. Complete "the 92" (visiting all 92 grounds in the English football league system, of which I have currently done 62)
  8. Get off the continent of Europe
  9. Have visited the 6 microstates of Europe. (I have already been to Monaco and San Marino, so only Andorra, Malta, Lichtenstein and the Vatican to go!)
  10. Get a job (simple, but effective)
  11. Add something to this list (goals are always coming along after all!)
  12. Do the Three Peaks Challenge
  13. Read Last Child in the Woods (yes, alright, I know I, of all people, should have read it already!)
  14. Get my Level 1 paddlesport coach done
  15. Finish my Summer ML
  16. Do a sump (in a cave)
  17. Not buy a new phone (modern technology and my habit of destroying phones in caves etc should make that a fun challenge!)
  18. Talk to the "hot blonde" at the bar (because, hey, miracles can happen!)
  19. Get back to playing waterpolo.
  20. Enjoy the little things.


That should make a nice start. And for this one I would be more than happy to accept suggestions, so feel free to comment and if I like it I will add it.


So, the joke:

Ugly. It's not looking good, is it?


Keep the faith. 

No comments:

Post a Comment